Monday, December 20, 2010

Mattar Paneer and Mango Lassies

In my opinion, Paneer is one of the most amazing foods EVER.  I can't even possibly describe how delicious this Indian cheese is.  I love the creamy, rich taste of it and it's smooth texture.  It has this beautiful delicate flavour that I can't get enough of! It comes in a small "brick", and when you cook it, it stays solid and doesn't melt.

Mattar Paneer is a tomato based paneer curry with peas.. and here is my version!  I think this curry turns out extra tasty if you dance around to Jai Ho before making it.. I don't think that Greg agrees though!



Ingredients
- one 400 g package of paneer, cubed
-one clove garlic, chopped
-a one-inch portion of ginger, grated or chopped
-one very small onion, diced
- one 796 ml can of diced tomato (the large can!)
-one heaping spoonful of vindaloo curry paste (this is spicy, get a milder one if you can't handle the heat!)
- frozen peas, as much as you want
- 35% whipping cream, 1/4 cup
-roti to serve (Greg and I buy it uncooked and frozen, you fry it up in a pan and it gets crispy and puffs up... sooo yummy!! You COULD make rice instead though.)
Method


Saute onion, garlic and ginger in a large pot with a liberal amount of butter.  If you happen to have ghee I would use this instead, but butter works just fine!  When the onion becomes translucent, add the diced paneer and gently saute for a few minutes.  Add the vindaloo paste, and saute for another minute or so.  Next, add the diced tomato with a small amount of water if it is too thick.   Let this simmer for 10 minutes.



After it has simmered, add your peas!  After I added my peas, Greg said that he had never seen so many peas in his life! I REALLY like peas, so if its up to me, I add lots! For that reason.. I leave it up to your discretion! Bring the curry back up to a light simmer, then slowly stir in the cream.  Turn the curry on low until you are ready to eat it!

Greg and I buy our Roti at an amazing Asian store downtown called Vihn Phong.  I love going here because the owners are so friendly.. Their young son will often bag up your groceries as he  takes a quick break from his game boy. Any Indian store would have it... but for some reason I love getting it from Vihn Phong!

To cook the roti, warm a non-stick pan on medium.  Add the roti and cook till golden brown, then flip! This may be easier said then done, as they are very easy to over-cook!  It takes practice, but I love roti with curry!









Where to buy Paneer


My favourite Indian store is in the Willow area of Guelph.  It is called Quality Indian Food and Spices.  It is located on 500 Willow St. in Guelph, Ontario. They also have amazing Samosas.. They sell them for like 75 cents! We like to warm them up while we are making curry and eat them as a little appetizer!












I really enjoy mango lassies when I am eating out at Indian Restaurants, but they are surprisingly easy to make at home! We didn't make these tonight, but I think this Indian smoothy is the perfect accompaniment to a curry meal! I could sure go for one now....

Mango Lassies


-frozen or fresh mango
-plain yogurt
-a teaspoon vanilla
-ice
-honey

Blend ingredients to taste and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment